This month we welcomed Lee Monroe of May Chappell to our guild. She brought us a wonderful trunk show and was a delight to listen to! Take a peek below to see all the amazing quilted goods she shared. Also, head on over to her website to see more of what she has to offer: http://www.maychappell.com
- We are starting to collect dues for next year. Those will still be $20.
- Be thinking about elections for 2017, we plan to vote next meeting
- Saturday, November 5th @ 9am – Modern Block of Month”Catch-Up Day”
- We will be sharing two block of the months in October since we skipped it this month
- Be sure to keep your color wheels handy. We will be having a second color theory program in November.
Thank you for another great guild meeting!
A few photos from show & tell…
We had two programs: paper piecing by Sabina Miller and long-arm quilting by Allie Johnson
The “Modern Block of the Month” for August was a large-scale pinwheel.
We look forward to seeing you in September! We are hosting Lee Monroe of May Chappell and can’t wait to see her trunk show!
Photos from Show & Tell: (there are a few warm color challenges in there!)
Candy Minton presented this months “Modern Block of the Month”: Ohio Star
Whitney Deal presented a program on “entering a quilt into a show” and how to effectively photograph a quilt.
Thank you to Nancy Canter and Mary Anne Caplinger for their color program this month! Looking forward to another one later in the year.
The Modern Block of the Month for June: Chevron (kits are available for $3).
Wasn’t it so nice to sew on a Sunday afternoon all day? Thanks to all who participated in our quilt retreat at Gambill Farm! Food and sewing — you can never go wrong🙂
As for the meeting, a few items of business:
– Rosie presented the finance report
– Reminder that the “Warm Color Rip/Pass Challenge” is due in July
– Broken Dishes was the May Modern Block of the Month
– Gloria Sews is participating in the Mid-Carolina Shop Hop
In addition to open sew time, we had several great demos at the retreat:
– Sabina Miller presented the project bag and a handout on the pineapple block
– Rosie organized the charity dog/cat bed project. Reminder to bring your completed beds to the June meeting
– With the help of Mary Ann Caplinger we had a screen printing tutorial that ended with everyone taking home their own “Blue Ridge Modern Quilt Guild” tote. We have additional totes that will be available for purchase at the next meeting.
Processed with VSCO with f2 preset
We look forward to seeing you at our June meeting! It will be on June 13th @ 6:30pm. Nancy Canter and Mary Anne Caplinger will be presenting a color program.
We had a wonderful turnout this month with two visitors. Thank you all for coming!
Upcoming May Retreat/Meeting:
We will not be having our normal May meeting; instead, we are headed to Gambill Farm in Roaring River on Sunday, May 15th for a retreat. The fee is $5 + a side dish. We will have open sew time, a project bag demo, work on our charity dog beds, and a screen printing demo. More details to come in an email.
Show & Tell:
Modern Block of the Month:
Nicole Collins presented this month’s “Modern Block of the Month” which was a flying geese block. Kits are $3 and still available.
Mary Anne Caplinger will be presenting a program at the Wilkes County Quilter’s April meeting on April 26th @ 1pm and 6pm. This will be held at the Kulynych Family Life Center (507 Courthouse Dr, Wilkesboro, NC 28697).
Everyone brought 1 yard of a warm colored fabric for a rip/pass challenge. We ended up with quite the stash and now we have to come up with something! Everyone must only use the fabrics they received with the addition of white if they would like. Bring your completed block/project to the July meeting.
Gloria Sews Program:
Gloria presented a program on the disappearing pinwheel 5 by Jenny Doan of the Missouri Star. For more information: elliscountyquilters.com
We missed many of you last night! I think sickness has really gotten a hold of a lot of people this year — we hope to everyone is feeling better soon and we can get back to sewing🙂
We opened with a look of the upcoming calendar, report on our charity work, and a finance report.
Reminder: Quilt Retreat is May 15th @ Gambill Farm
Begin thinking about booking your room if you are interested in attending QuiltCon in Savannah, Ga. It will take place Feb 23-26, 2017.
Show & Tell:
Our March “Modern Block of the Month” is the wonky log cabin. Rosie Summers presented the block with a quick history lesson. Kits are available.
We ended with a quilt block trivia game!
See you all next month!